Sunday, June 1, 2008

Reed's Memorial Service

Saturday was the day selected for the memorial service at the cemetary. I was surprised at how many people came to the service. By far, most of the people were from the Furness family. I think all of Carl's family was there. My aunt Margaret, cousin Mike Perterson and cousin Jim Monsen came representing the Monsen family. Mom and Reed's neighbors came too. It was exactly the same hour as a funeral for my cousin Barbara's husband, who died from cancer. Some of the Monsen family went to that funeral.

I conducted the service which started by Joni reading the Lord's Prayer and followed by the Utah Honor Guard playing Taps and displaying the flag. It was very moving. Carl provided a eulogy, Rob Furness spoke about "grandpa" and I closed the service with a benediction prayer. The entire service lasted about 25 minutes. It was just right.

After the service, we all gathered at a restaraunt at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon. It was a fun gathering. Lori and Tyson, Rob , Tracy and two of their kids, plus my sisters and partners were there. It was a good lunch.

After all was done, Mom and I went to Lori and Tyson's house to play with Gavin until we left for the airport. That was actually the best part of the day.

1 comment:

Lori said...

We had fun seeing you again. I am glad Gav still remembered you guys. See ya on Friday. I thought you were going to write about being sick of visitors. :)